Friday, September 26, 2008

Savoring a Cup of Tea: 2 Timothy 3

I am studying Acts in a women's Bible study this year, and tonight I read a passage in 2 Timothy (3:1-5--I read more...) about the "last days" in order to gain a better understanding of the last days referred to in our Acts passage. I titled this post "Savoring a Cup of Tea," but I haven't been "savoring" this passage long since I just read it! However, it brings to mind all kinds of thoughts. I thought I'd copy it here for you and let you savor it with me as I sort of "think as I type."

2 Timothy 3:1-7 (ESV; emphasis mine)
But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by passions, always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.

Wow! Does that make anyone else sit up and take note?! So much here to dissect. I am not one of those alarmists that is always going on saying the end of the world is nigh. But the message here is clear: "avoid such people"! A few thoughts on some of the specifics:
  • lovers of self: enough said, right? Aren't we all?
  • disobedient to parents: another reminder of what, as parents, need to be training our children to do--obedience is REQUIRED by the Lord, not just a convenience
  • ungrateful: remember this as Thanksgiving comes around--being thankful is not just a day out of the year, but a constant attitude we should have
  • without self-control: I've yet to write my final fruit of the Spirit post, but this one is a huge one!!! How many times have you (or I) yelled at your children, eaten something you shouldn't have, skipped doing something you should be doing in favor of something you merely want to do--so many times we don't control our self and give into whatever the flesh would like to do
  • having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power: to me, this means we are going through the motions of looking spiritual (church attendance, devotions, etc.), but are not really seeking the Lord and serving him wholeheartedly. Instead, we are just doing things that make us look spiritual....
  • always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth: this is worth an entire post in and of itself. There's an information glut out there (which this blog, admittedly, is contributing to) about anything and everything. How many more parenting books do I need to read? Shouldn't I be searching the Bible for answers and seeking the face of God? This applies to all of life!
Thankfully, the end of this chapter of 2 Timothy contains those glorious verses I was required to memorize years ago in my little Christian school:

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man (or woman) of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Go read that Bible!!!

No comments: