Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mulling over Mary and Martha

I'm definitely a "Martha"--I like to be busy, and I'm one of those people who can usually get a lot done in the course of a day. In my current vocations of wife and mother, though, "getting a lot done" just doesn't fit. It's been a continual struggle for me not to fit my husband and children into my list of things to do. (Sometime later this week I'll post a little reflection I wrote back in February on my to do list--inspired by Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad stories.)

Carrie's post earlier this week about Mary and Martha, coupled with the Faith Pointes book we're studying together this summer, has really got me thinking through my current priorities. I've come to this realization numerous times this year, but it just doesn't stick with me!

So many places in Scripture, we're urged to rest, to sit still before the Lord, to do His work, to focus on eternal priorities (Psalms, Colossians, Ecclesiastes all drive this point home). After a really bad day yesterday, I was doing my Faith Pointes study this morning (chapter 5--finding fulfillment in God alone) and praying through a little prayer guide I use (Face to Face, vol. 1). I was convicted about why my day had been so bad yesterday. Instead of focusing on the one boy who is teething (and therefore screaming randomly during the day and taking an extra hour to go to bed) and the toddler who seems bent on harming her younger brothers and disobeying Mommy in any and everything, I focused on my own sin: wanting to do something I thought would fun and worthwhile. What does the Lord want me to do? Spend time training my children, loving my husband, and ... resting before Him. What he has put before me to do is ultimately the most fulfilling, no matter how enticing something else looks.

So, with that in mind (and sorry for the long introduction to these), here are a few verses to leave you with from my day's reading (and a prayer from another guide I use occasionally: The Power of Praying Wife by Stormie O'Martian):

My soul silently waits for You alone, O God;
My salvation comes from You.
You alone are my rock and salvation;
You are my stronghold; I will never be shaken. (Psalm 62:1-2)

In repentance and rest is your salvation;
In quietness and trust is your strength. (Isaiah 30:15)

(Paraphrased from Day 9 of Praying Wife)
Lord, when You call us, You also enable us. Enable us to walk worthy of our calling and become the man or woman of God You made us to be. Continue to remind us of what You've called us to and don't let us get sidetracked with things that are unessential to Your purpose. Strike down discouragement so that it will not defeat us. Lift our eyes above the circumstances of the moment so we can see the purpose for which You created us. Give us patience to wait for Your perfect timing. I pray that the desires of our hearts will not be in conflict with the desires of Yours.

No comments: