Monday, August 18, 2008

The Great Gardening Game: the Harvest Continues

From my meager, bare ground beginnings, I'm now reaping a nice little harvest of tomatoes, cucumbers, hot peppers, green beans, and the beginnings of bell/sweet peppers! It's been lots of fun and... family members and close friends may want to sit down for this... I'm learning to like and enjoy fresh tomatoes!!!!!!!

My little garden has necessitated minimal work on my part these past few weeks. I'm only harvesting and pouring over cookbooks to see what new cucumber salad I can drum up or what new tomato sauce we can try. Our current (and very easy) favorite is a simple tomato basil sauce for sauteed chicken, compliments of Joy of Cooking. When I get a chance I'll post that at full tummies. Our cucumber salads and at least one tomato sauce recipe will be posted this week, so check it out!

You might consider putting in a garden next summer if you didn't this year. It's been quite rewarding! It's also been a good reminder that the Lord does indeed provide our food--when I just buy it at the supermarket, that's easy to forget. When I'm hoping for rain and trying to imagine what life would be like were I actually dependent on the garden for my food, then I remember that the Lord is indeed in control of our food and the curse was a real curse! (to work by the sweat of our brow)

No comments: