Saturday, December 20, 2008

"And Peace to Men.."

Luke 2: 14

"Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests."

Probably one of the most quoted verses in the Bible, especially this time of year. In my husband's Bible study they all prayed for peace this coming week...all reiterating that with family all around, there is usually one family member who pushes everyone else's buttons. So I took a new look at this verse.

The angels proclaimed peace to men who have favor. My study notes say this is a deep peace, the peace of knowing the savior. And peace does not go to all men, just those with whom he has favor, i.e. not everyone knows the savior and can have true peace.

It also doesn't say that everything will go right. There are people out there who don't know true peace and can train wreck a good holiday. And just because you may have true peace doesn't mean a child won't get sick, you won't get in a wreck, or other tragic things might happen like the death of a family member.

BUT it does say we can have peace. That in the process, we can have a deep peace knowing the Savior is taking care of us and watching over us. That He knows what is best. I have even heard others say, and have experienced "the Peace that surpasses all understanding." He was born a baby so he could die for our sins and give us true everlasting peace.

So on this holiday season fast approaching, I leave you with this:

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27

No comments: