Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Savoring a Cup of Tea: Fruit of the Spirit (Faithfulness)

Faithfulness covers so many areas of life, doesn't it? I've been mulling over, in particular, the little areas of life that demand so much faithfulness--faithfulness that most people may never see. As a wife, mom, and homemaker, there are countless opportunities throughout the day for me to exhibit faithfulness to what the Lord has called me...or to shirk that calling and do something else (something that generally seems vastly more interesting).

For example, training my children: this is a huge, all-encompassing area for most parents, but especially in a house that's full of toddlers. We are training our children from birth to worship the Lord and serve him only, whether we realize it or not. Thus, each little interaction with my children is an opportunity to that end--and basic socialization in the process. How we encourage our children to interact with each other, how we model our reactions to frustrating events (including the mundane dropping of a kids' plate upside on the floor...), and how we demonstrate willingness to do menial tasks that serve the family at large are all making an impact on these little lives. When we do our jobs with faithfulness, that speaks volumes to little eyes and ears. They know no other standard than the one you maintain--at least during their early years. What an opportunity I have to be faithful in the little things these days! And how marvelous is the grace of God in the midst of my glaring unfaithfulness! I'm learning the value of faithful time spent with him, even in the early hours of the morning. I'm learning the value of faithful, consistent discipline and training of my two and a half year old, sometimes working with her on the same issues over and over. I'm learning the value of faithfully doing laundry--one load a day whether I like it or not--in order to better serve my family. I truly believe these small areas that demand faithfulness on a daily basis will teach us and our children great things about serving the Lord.

I read Isaiah 55:8-9 this morning:
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

9 "As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.


What a great reminder that the Lord chooses the context in which I am to be faithful, not me. I can envision all sorts of grandiose labors for the Lord, but he has called me to be faithful in my current situation, no matter how mundane that faithfulness may seem or feel at the time.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Well said, Bets, thanks.