- Instilling appropriate quiet times, i.e. prayer. We have really been working on our son sitting quietly and still during ALL prayers in the service. Praying is quite important.
- Quiet toys. You can't expect young children to sit perfectly still for a 30+ sermon. Quiet toys include books, coloring books/drawing paper, puzzles, 1 or 2 "cars" (with no sound effects & nothing banging!). Biblically themed are added bonuses! You can even buy your child his/her own special Bible.
- Take bathroom breaks during standing songs or offering time, and sit with accessibility to an exit.
- Have silent discipline, like counting "1,2,3" with your fingers :-). Of course on 3 something has to happen, but do it once--they won't forget.
- Be a little lax...they are kids. Kids=noise. Fortunately in our church we are not alone...everyone has too. And many parents start with kids 2-3 bringing them in just during song time. They are not going to understand the first time...you have to practice.
Butterfudge Cooky Pie
4 months ago