Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Didn't Get a Haircut... I Got 'Em All Cut

Today is/was haircutting day: 2 down, 1 to go.

Last week, a passerby mistook one of my very beefy boys for a girl.... I knew it was time.... The last time I cut the boys' hair, it was 2008, pre-Christmas...maybe even pre-Thanksgiving. If it's humid outside and they've just had a bath, they look like they have a bad '80's perm....

All three of my children have been blessed with fairly curly hair. This hides a multitude of sins, thankfully, so I've begun cutting their hair myself (after watching good friends and my mother do it in for me). I've gotten better and learned a few things along the way. In case you're inspired to attempt this yourself, keep the following in mind:

  • Videos are a must (our pick today is The Wiggles: Pop Go the Wiggles streamed instantly from Netflix)
  • Proper clothing is a must (fleece is a no no....don't ask me how I know this)
  • Bath-time immediately following the hair cut must be part of the schedule
  • Speed is more important than accuracy--you can always touch up later, but half a head of cut hair looks terrible (again, don't ask me how I know this...)
  • Just do it: just make that first cut without analyzing.... see above point
  • You can always use clippers with a guard for little boys' hair; I haven't because my boys are too interested in little mechanical devices (maybe because their Daddy is an engineer?); it's too hard to try to cut the back of the head when the eyes want so very much to see what is making the cool electronic noise.
  • Time to clean up salon area after said bath-time is also a must
  • Booster seats with confining straps are also a good idea
  • Save an old vinyl tablecloth if you go the indoor/movie route (when it's warmer, we can host hair cutting sessions in the great outdoors!)
Remember, Easter isn't that far away--if you cut now, there is still time for too-short hairs to grow. Don't ask me why I'm pointing this out....

1 comment:

Bridgette said...

We have cut our son's hair in the bathroom sink. He has the mirror to watch what we are doing and we always let him play with something cool (i.e. the empty toothbrush holder). Usually one of us cleans up the bathroom while the other one rinses the boy off. Which reminds me that we usually do it after a bath. Scheduling a cut a few weeks before Easter or a major photo making op is always good. Happy cutting!