Thursday, February 7, 2008

Hidden Art of Homemaking

The Hidden Art of Homemaking
The Hidden Art of Homemaking by Edith Schaeffer
The Hidden Art of Homemaking
(Edith Schaeffer) is a wonderful book that I'm delighted to see in print again. I first read this book about 10 years ago, before I really had a home to make as it were. I was single, living in a college student apartment that had been made over for me as the Resident Director, and was ministering to college students from various countries. This book can apply to anyone!

Edith Schaeffer begins with the premise that, as we are all made in the image of God, we are all therefore full of creative gifts of some sort or another. She then challenges her readers to use their creativity to enrich the lives of those around her. Each chapter is devoted to a particular talent (drawing, writing, drama, etc.) and shows how you might use that gift in your everyday life. I love to read and write, and I think it is this book that has encouraged me most to use those gifts with my family. I write my husband little notes, and I've corresponded with my grandmother for years. I know this is a way I've been able to help "polish their teapots" and encourage them. Now, I read to my children with all the enthusiasm I can muster. I enjoy cooking, and I've been able to cook creative meals for countless people who come through my door. Thanks to the reminder in the book, I view these everyday tasks as ways I truly can serve the Lord by serving his people.

Pick up a copy of this book--it's an easy read--and start thinking of ways you can use your gifts and interests to polish the lives of those around you on a daily basis.

No comments: