Friday, April 18, 2008

Reflections on the Past Year

My twins are 1 year old today! I've been reflecting over the past week or so on what the Lord has taught me this year as I experienced my first year being a MOM (Mother of Multiples). Here's a short list:

I am NOT in Control of My Life: the Lord Is

I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me (even getting up 6 times in the middle of the night for the umpteenth night in a row)

K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid) (80% of the side dishes I've cooked this past year have been steamed broccoli and baked sweet potatoes; my boys wear mostly solid colored clothing; I did my Christmas shopping online; we eat leftovers or grilled cheese every Sunday for lunch;....)

Just Do It (Sure, meeting your friend at Chick-Fil-A is going to be an all-day endeavor, but you just gotta get out of the house sometimes; I ask for help; I take people up on their offers to help without pondering it too much, wondering if they really mean it....)

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (by this I'm referring to the truly unimportant small things: whether the clean laundry gets put up right away, what your house looks like when people come over, if you're eating leftovers three nights in a row, what someone might be thinking of your small herd, if the ironing ever gets done, if the home improvement project stays "in process" for an extra month or eight, how much dog hair your crawler might be consuming in his explorations throughout the house,....)

Life is in the Details (this refers to those glorious everyday details in your family's life--I'm learning to keep my camera handy. For instance, the delightful way one son eats with food in his mouth and in both hands--all at the same time. Or, the way my toddler comes running in, out of breath, and says, "I run so fast." Or, perhaps the twinkle that seems to show up in one twin's eyes in every picture I look at. What about remembering someone's birthday? Or, leaving a small note for my husband by the coffee maker. Savoring a trip to the grocery when I get to go without the kids. Enjoying a good book, even if it takes me longer to finish than in my previous life. My toddler's first successful pee pee in the potty!)

Life's Not Fair (I'm learning to stop comparing my life to others; I could complain because I had twins a mere 18 months after my daughter was born and there were months, before my boys could sit up, in which I physically couldn't fit all my children in one grocery cart. Or, I could look at it this way: all those other people are missing out on the cool-ness that multiples bring to your life--the way they interact with each other, the interest you garner in every public place from perfect strangers, the help that is freely offered in every store/business, the fact that my three children will never remember not having each other in their lives.)

It's All Relative (For instance, compared to this time last year, I have a smokin' hot body.)

Always Be Prepared (our diaper bag ALWAYS has, in addition to diapers and wipes, the following: animal crackers, sippy cups, extra onesies, toys, etc.)

Think Outside the Box (I do not have the time to scrapbook for my kids, so I made digital photo books for each one. I did my Christmas shopping online. Our boys slept in the living room and the hallway for the first months of their lives. We're learning to think of ALL possible solutions to any given problem/situation, no matter how unconventional.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent insights. The first birthday of any child(ren) should always be a celebration for the family just for surviving it! Happy birthday to the twins. Looking forward to meeting them soon!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to the boys!! I am so proud of all of you :)! However,..ahem...,we need an updated fridge photo... :)
Cassie