Monday, April 28, 2008

Savoring a Cup of Tea: Running the Race

In a few weeks, I am going to be running a 5k. This is the longest "marathon" type run I have ever done, but I think it would be fun to do another sometime. (Yes, I know 5k is only 3 miles...I'm still getting back in shape!)

But did you know how many verses in the Bible talk about running a race, and not just a physical one. This spiritual race we are running can be soooo tiring, and physically taxing. A few weeks ago our pastor told us about a survey where (I hope I get this right) the majority of pastors burn out (I want to say 80% but can't remember). They feel unappreciated, overworked, under payed. Something like 60% ended up having affairs or divorces. These are key men who are supposed to really help share, and teach the gospel. He didn't even mention missionaries.

One of the biggest factors he also mentioned, that is true for us too, is that pastors, and others end up spending hardly any "personal" time with God. Obviously they have to open the Bible for their sermon, but not for personal growth and quiet time. We get caught up in what we think is necessary and avoid the biggest part of growing our faith.

Betsy has mentioned Barbara Barker before (her book is our current resource book.) I have heard other women even say about her, they are amazed that when she speaks, how many verses from the Bible she quotes off the top of her head. That only comes from spending time in the Bible and taking the time to commit it to memory.

So without further ado, here is probably not an exhausted list, but a good one of verses in the Bible talking about running our race:

Psalm 19:5b (David talking about God's glory) like a champion rejoicing to run his course.

Proverbs 4:12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble.

Isaiah 40:31 Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Acts 20:24 However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.

1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

Galatians 5:7-8 You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth? that kind of persuasion does not come from the one who calls you.

Philippians 2:16 As you hold out the word of life--in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing.

2 Timothy 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Great thoughts! And, the formatting is nice :)